Re: Quick dm-crypt questions

Sorry, but no. I do not think any books on that topic exist.
The best you can do is to try research papers, but a lot of
what is used in practice will be secret and developed
in-house.

For instances that are known to have failed in the past,
stories in Anderson's Book are likely a good place to
start and then you can follow the literature references.
Youc an also look more specifically for articles on hacking
chip-cards, as that has been done by quite a few people.

But notice that nobody professional these days ever talks
about "tamper proof", it is always "tamper resistant", even
for secure microcontrollers. Too many past designs were
successfully attacked, often in ways that their designers
never expected. For exmaple, a "secure" Java card was
successfully attacked by uploading a class file and then
holding it up to a light-bulb to heat it up.

For how to do it right, you are mostly on your own. It is
not an accident that HSMs (Hardware Securty Modules) cost
$50'000 and upwards. Nobody really knows whether they are
worth that money, but the people that have tried to break
into them are not talking and are not even admiting that
they tried.

Gr"usse,
Arno