Re: Quick dm-crypt questions

I see, thanks for the detailed answer.

Personally I find this an interesting topic, and since I love to learn
and experiment, I bought a printed copy of Security Engineering (2nd
ed.) book by Ross Anderson. I'm currently on chapter 16 - Physical
Tamper Resistance, and in this chapter there is a paragraph on page
490, "How to hack a cryptoprocessor (4)", it says that "The better
third generation devices have RAM savers which function in much the
same way as screen savers; they move data around the RAM to prevent it
being burned in anywhere." This is where I got the idea to move the
key around in RAM.

The thing is I planned to use a microcontroller to store an encryption
key in its RAM, and I see the device uses SRAM, so this might be a
problem?
http://www.atmel.com/Images/Atmel-8271-8-bit-AVR-Microcontroller-ATmega48A-48PA-88A-88PA-168A-168PA-328-328P_datasheet_Summary.pdf

But if moving the data around is ineffective then perhaps I could do
something like this: Upon device power-on define two equal-length
(fixed length) buffers on the heap. Then generate a random number of
equal length from a cryptographic random number generator and write it
to both buffers. At periodic time intervals (can be configured to 1
hour, 2 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours, etc) generate another random number
like before, and XOR it into both buffers (buffer_1 ^= random_num;
buffer_2 ^= random_num;). Once the device receives the encryption key,
XOR it to *one* of the bufffers (buffer_1 ^= enc_key), and securely
overwrite the enc_key variable. At any point in the future when we
want to retrieve the key again, simply XOR both buffers to get it,
export it, and securely overwrite the variable that held the key.

Comments?