Re: LUKS overhead?

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 12:11 PM, Ryan Nix <ryan.nix@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

We recently started using ownCloud which has an encryption-at-rest option.  However, their encryption scheme increases file size by 34%.  We need to have our files encrypted at rest so I was thinking that maybe LUKS was the better way to go.  Can anyone tell me if we'll see the same kind of increases in file size?  I ask because we're trying to plan on how much storage we should buy.

How large are the files you are creating?

Most "enclosures" uses a header and the header will increase the overall size of encrypted file.

LUKS for example uses a header that is 2MB.

If you want to encrypt individual files,why not go with gpg?,their header will increase the file size by only 41 bytes.