Re: LUKS overhead?

Halo, Ralf!  Thank you for the quick response as well as the insight into using LUKS.  Ideally, we would prefer ownCloud's method of encryption, however, the dramatic increase in file size threw us for a loop.  We also wrote a custom ownCloud app to convert video files with ffmpeg but ownCloud's documentation on how to work with encrypted files is spotty at best.  Our researchers have strict requirements for protecting their data, so encryption at rest is needed in some basic capacity.  I realize the implications of the web server having access to the files, but we might have to use LUKS in the initial rollout until the ownCloud developers can change the encryption scheme to be more efficient.

Cheers,

Ryan

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Ralf Ramsauer <ralf+dm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Ryan,

On 09/09/14 18:11, Ryan Nix wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if we'll see the same kind of increases in file
> size?  I ask because we're trying to plan on how much storage we
> should buy.

There will be no increase of the size of 'files'.
Luks resp. dm-crypt is just a layer between block devices and actual
filesystems.
So the actual size of files depends on your filesystem and not on luks
or dm-crypt.

Dm-crypt uses blockciphers. In short words that means that x byte
plaintext will be encrypted to x byte ciphertext, without any overhead
or increase of size.

I don't know how owncloud's stock encryption solution exactly works, but
are you sure, that Luks does really satisfy your requirements?
All files of all users will be encrypted with the same key when using
Luks and when your filesystem is mounted, the webserver process or other
processes may have access to all files, regardless of encryption.

Cheers
  Ralf

--
Ralf Ramsauer