Re: cryptsetup upgrade to 1.6.x unlocking problem in initramfs

On Fri, September 5, 2014 17:29, Milan Broz wrote:
> On 09/05/2014 12:54 AM, Sven Eschenberg wrote:
>> For me two major questions remain though:
>> 1.) Why did an older version of cryptsetup work without these modules?
>
> Hi,
>
> HMAC is mandatory, so check your previous config... I guess just some
> magic
> switched it to module... :)

No, actually it was modular. In fact it was my fault, the older kernel's
initramfs included /lib/modules completely, from what I gathered by
checking it's initramfs. I guess the issue was nagging me back then
already and I took the easy path ;-).

>> 2.) Why is HMAC needed? It is not obvious and if some other kernel
>> module
>> needs it, why is the dependecy missing?
>
> It is not dependence for kernel module but requirement of PBKDF2 used in
> LUKS.
>
> But as I said, it should report problems in more clear error messages...
>
>> 4.) if HMAC dependecy is owed to cryptsetup specificly, is that
>> documented
>> already?
>
> I do not think there is a list of required kernel modules. Perhaps it
> should
> be added somewhere. But I am afraid exact list will depend on kernel
> versions and
> other configuration (crypto mgr, fips, hw accel. support, ...)

That is true, of course. A list of modules necessary for kernel backend
and one for the default parameters might not be the worst idea, I think.
What do others say?

> In short, for kernel backend, AF_ALG must be supported in general.
>
> Then for LUKS: generic hash support, specific hash used in LUKS and HMAC
> is required.
> With 1.6.5 and later it will optionally utilize also skcipher interface
> (so you need
> the block cipher and block mode used in LUKS header.
>
> For TrueCrypt support you need the same, (hash, hmac, block cipher, block
> mode).
>
> Perhaps man page or FAQ could be more descriptive here (... send a patch
> ;-)

Arno already stated that the FAQ is becoming quite large, I am not sure
where we should add it.

> Thanks,
> Milan

Regards