Re: cryptsetup upgrade to 1.6.x unlocking problem in initramfs

On 09/01/2014 09:32 PM, Sven Eschenberg wrote:
> I recently upgraded one of my systems and after cryptsetup was updated,
> included into my initramfs it fails to open the LUKS container.
>
> In the very beginning I ended up with a 'Cannot initialize crypto backend'
> error. After some debugging I managed to add the missing kernel modules to
> get AF_ALGO. Now I am getting to a password prompt, enter my passphrase
> and get a failure. I cannot recall the exact error msg, I remember though
> it said something about a missing option.
>
> Anyway, I traced the whole thing, and I think it's the following call that
> creates the fatal error:
> bind(<FD>,{sa_family=AF_ALG,SA_data=hash\0,88})=ENOENT)
>
> First I had a failure on the socket() call, which I managed to get rid
> off, now the actual bind() fails. I can see the problem is hash related,
> but further assistance is appreciated.

Hi,

the dependence on AF_ALG (for LUKS) is optional and there is fallback
to old way. So in your described scenario it should still work.
(The ENOENT error above is not fatal error, it is indication that some function
is not available and code should simple use old way how to decrypt keyslot.)

Which exact version you are using? Be sure that you have the last 1.6.6
where I fixed some problems related to crypto API interface.

Can you post output with added --debug of command which fails?

If you are compiling cryptsetup yourself, which crypto backend are you using?
(If it is kernel API, then kernel must have required support, AF_ALG
API and all relevant crypto modules.)

Thanks,
Milan