Re: Kernel update: "Failed to access temporary keystore device."

On 08/03/2014 02:01 AM, Arno Wagner wrote:
>> Can you paste the command with added --debug?
>
> See below, both for 1.6.1 and 1.6.5, which unloaks without
> error (well, without error that gets propagated to the user),
> but never creates the entry in /dev/mapper/. Likely
> a bug in 1.6.5, as it probably should tell the user that
> things went wrong.

The 1.6.5 uses different code here (it reads device directly
when decrypting keyslot) and it need more user friendly error
messages here, my bad...

Anyway, seems like in both cases read of device really returns
I/O error while reading keyslot area.
Could you send me strace of the command?
(No need to enter correct password at all.)

BTW if not already there, it is another nice item to FAQ
- warn people that strace and similar debugging output can
easily leak keys or passwords. And yes, people sometimes
post these to lists :)

>> Can you try to boot Debian provided kernel - does it work?
>
> Not easily. But it does work with 3.10.51, so the 3.2.x that
> Debian stable is stuck at should probably work too.
>
> Come to think of it, I have /usr/src/linux pointing to a 3.4.67
> source tree, as gcc kernel includes in Debian stable are really
> messed up with 3.5.x and later and I failed to fix it manually.
> (Sometimes I really wonder what the Kernel devs are thinking or
> whether they are thinking at all...) Could that be the problem?

Don't think so... kernel should use own includes while compiling
and what's failing here is just plain read (I think).

> I usually run testing, except that I really do not want systemd,
> so until I am sure I can do that update without getting that
> atrocity, no update to jessy for me.

There is a lot of discussion about this on debian devel,
IIRC systemd-shim is possible the way to avoid systemd as init.
(dunno if this will be supported).

> Anyways, if we do not figure this one out, I will just stay
> with 3.10.x, it is a longterm-kernel after all. I just
> tried 3.14.15 because I have some network issues and wanted to
> see whether they may be gone with a newer kernel.

Well, it would be interesting to find what's wrong here.

You are using MD device - what kind of raid is that?
(lsblk -t can say more info about storage stack topology as well).

Milan