Re: Encrypted Raid 1 Btrfs on *Single Drive*

On 03/14/2014 08:00 AM, .. ink .. wrote:
> I think somehow,the kpartx step was done here and this is evident by the
> existence of /dev/mapper/vault1 & vault2

Hi,

No, I didn't run kpartx at this step.  I did run "partprobe" after fdisk
here in Fedora 20.  Maybe one of them creates the partition device files.

> I think here,you should have done:
> kpartx -d /dev/mapper/vault
> cryptsetup luksClose vault

There you go. Thanks for this.  That worked nicely.  I'll add this to my
steps.

> The "standard way" is to create an LVM volume in the encrypted
> container.This is how most  distributions implements "full disk
>  encryption" with LUKS.
>
> With an LVM volume,you can simulate partitions by creating volume
> groups/logical volumes.

In my scenario, running btrfs over LVM seems overkill since BTRFS has
already built-in volume management.

Thanks!
Jorge