Re: moving/resizing a dm-crypt partition

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 10:06:09PM +0100, Arno Wagner wrote:

> Yes, most decidedly: Make a full backup of everything
> you want to keep on 6, remove 5 and 6, create what you
> want in its place and restore the backup.
> You may also do a full backup of the rest of the disk,
> mistakes and error happen.
>
> As backup is mandatory anyways, this shoud not cause
> much more trouble than an ordinary backup.
>
> You are running a pretty high risk of losing everything on
> 6 with your approach.

Hi Arno,

I did a tar.gz backup before proceeding but in the end all went well.
The hairy part (I guess) is deleting both partitions to create a new,
larger one without damaging the dm-crypt volume.

I resized the dm-crypt volume offline, without mounting the fs, but is it
possible to do it on a live, mounted system?

Thanks,