Re: 1.6.2 - waiting for zero, luksFormat hung

Milan Broz:
> On 11/22/2013 08:40 AM, shmick@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>

>> Milan Broz:

>>> Did you modified udev device-mapper rules? If not, perhaps you should report
>>> it to your distro bugzilla if it doesn't work with default package.
>>
>> no, i didn't modify udev
>> i've done some more testing and im very certain this an ascii character
>> issue with cryptsetup 1.4.3
>

> No. Why ascii characters problem?
>
> "Waiting for zero" is situation where device mapper wait for semaphore
> (used to synchronize block device creation) to reach zero, it is handled in udev rules
> by generic device-mapper rules.
>
> It has absolutely nothing to do with passwords or ciphers in cryptsetup. I am afraid
> you are mixing several problems together here.
> (You should get "No key available with this passphrase" error and not hang if it is
> passphrase problem.)

why does luksFormat succeed using a simple short password and fail with
a more complex, longer one ?

this occurs in parted magic boot cd from 28-02-2013

> BTW if you just need to open old container, do not compile own version and use
> distro provided one (1.4 version is fully compatible here).

i attempted to open with the distro provided 1.4.1 but it failed to open

> Anyway, adding cc to Peter who maybe know some problem in dm udev rules causing
> this...
>
> And if you cannot run even benchmark, you are still loading wrong libcryptsetup library,
> (cryptsetup: relocation error: cryptsetup: symbol crypt_benchmark_kdf - this
> function was added later, in cryptsetup 1.6).

what else needs to be modified for configure options for this to work ?