Difference in decryption/hash speed volume unlock

I have been experimenting/testing with different encryption schemes using
Cryptsetup. I mostly focused on increasing iterations and using different hash
algorithms. I noticed a decrease in the time needed for unlocking the volume
when using Sha512 and serpent. During volume creation I set the iteration
value to 12000, however the unlock of the volume only took 8 seconds. This
does not occur with sha1 and AES which takes the full 12 seconds to unlock the
volume. The iteration count is about 850.000 for Sha512 and about 2.000.000 for
Sha1. I used an AMD fx-8150 with eight cores.

Does anyone one know why there is a discrepancy between the time needed for
the volume creation and volume decryption?