Re: LUKS and backdoors

On 10/20/2013 07:52 AM, .. ink .. wrote:

> I raised the question not out of fear of anything or spreading FUD on
> truecrypt but out of seeking a better understanding of how LUKS
> header in particular and header using encrypted volumes in general
> are created and managed and if they could be used to manage a
> backdoor of some sort.

If you have header generated by some unknown binary, you do not need
to store master or whatever so complicated. Just mangle how master key
is generated (predictable RNG or so) and you have undetectable backdoor.

If you have root access to device with active mapping, you can always
read encryption key from memory and store it elsewhere, send by WiFi...

And, btw some NAS manufacturers add backdoors and weaks security,
even for LUKS partitioning systems...

http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2009-3200
http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2009-3278
http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-1431
(and probably others I missed)

Anyway, if anyone want to audit usptream cryptsetup code,
it is more then welcome!

Just please do not turn it to some funded service with unclear
motivation behind.
I will be more than happy to provide any cooperation related
to source code audit.

Milan