Re: LUKS and backdoors

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Christoph Anton Mitterer <calestyo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2013-10-19 at 22:09 -0400, .. ink .. wrote:
> A scenario i had in mind is something like a hard drive manufacture
> selling a LUKS based encrypted solution.
Well I guess the same applies...
If you have fears that any "minor" manufacturer wants to attack you (or
does so for others),... simply don't use their black box hardware...
cause even if it uses cryptsetup you don't really now how they changed
it,... the could again write just plain data, or use their own master
key.

About a week ago,i read of a report about a discovered backdoor in a consumer grade internet facing home routers[1].Some of these backdoors are put in place by "major" manufacturers not for malicious intent but simply from a wish to better offer efficient customer support for their products.

I raised the question not out of fear of anything or spreading FUD on truecrypt but out of seeking a better understanding of how LUKS header in particular and header using encrypted volumes in general are created and managed and if they could be used to manage a backdoor of some sort.

[1] http://it.slashdot.org/story/13/10/14/0120221/