Re: External hard drives encrypted with cryptsetup suddenly stop working while internal disk is fine

1. What exactly is the error you get?
2. What does "cryptsetup -v isLuks <partition>" say?
3. Have you tried entering the passwords manually?
4. Have you checked whether the update switched you from
   ASCII to UTF-8 and do you have chars ouside 7-bit ASCII?
   (also refer to FAQ item 1.2 subitem "PASSPHRASE CHARACTER SET")

Arno

On Sun, Sep 08, 2013 at 12:27:16AM +0000, cdupree wrote:
> I apologize if this is an inappropriate place to post this question but I'm
> in a difficult spot and am hoping to find help or referrals to other sources.
>
> I've only recently encrypted my internal hard drive and my two externals,
> though not yet my netbook's.  For the externals I used cryptsetup 1.4.3, the
> current version in the repositories (I'm on Kubuntu Raring).  Things were
> working fine for a month or so.  Then two days ago I had to reboot after
> some updates and KDEwallet gave me some error message I couldn't note down
> in time.  I'd been meaning to switch the last few passwords over to KeePassX
> anyway, so I did that.  But from that time on I've had trouble mounting the
> two external drives.  Right now I'm unable to read either of them.  Yet the
> internal drive, which I encrypted when I installed Kubuntu & LVM initially,
> has no problems.
>
> When the trouble first appeared I tried plugging the external drives into
> the netbook, which also has cryptsetup, though I've just noticed it seems to
> be still at 1.4.1.  It claimed to be unable to mount the drives, but it let
> me access them, not just read but even delete one.  So I breathed a sigh of
> relief and moved them back to the desktop, but now I can't get to them from
> either computer.
>
> Can anyone help me figure this out?  I haven't tried any of the cryptsetup
> commands because I don't know the software well enough to know what to look
> for.  If there's a better place me to ask this question please feel free to
> point me there so I won't take up your bandwidth unnecessarily.  Thanks!
>
> - ced

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----
There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it
so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to
make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. The first
method is far more difficult.  --Tony Hoare