Re: [cryptsetup] Develop Environment for cryptsetup

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 10:49:25AM +0700, Trinh Van Thanh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a student from Vietnam. I want to develop my cryptsetup with some new
> features. But I get some problems with all source code of cryptsetup. I
> don't have skill for read and understand configure and makefiles.

Makefiles, you will need to learn how to read and write. Don't start
with something as difficult though. Also, don't modify cryptsetup itself,
use the library and start with somethign simple. You can, for example,
start by tryingi to understand and modify the things in the misc.
directory.

> So, I want to ask all of you some questions:
>
> - What IDE do you develop cryptsetup on?

IDE? Why would you use an IDE? I use emacs as editor, that is enough.
This is not Java, were an IDE is almost needed because there is
so much syntactic noise.

> - How do I debug cryptsetup?

The old wy: Code-embedded debug instratctions. You may also
try DDD.

> - How do I modify Makefile, Do I need understand all content in makefiles,
> configure file?

Don't go that way, see above.

Arno

> Thanks so much.
>
> --
> *Trịnh Văn Thành*
>
> Information & Communication System - High Quality Class, P.52
> Center for Training of Excellent Students (CTES)
> Hanoi University of Science and Technology (HUST)
>
> Add: No.5, 64/25 Lane, Phan Dinh Giot Street, Thanh Xuan Dist, Hanoi.
> Mobile: (+84) 09 86 76 38 96
> Email: trinhvanthanh@xxxxxxxxx

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----
There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it
so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to
make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. The first
method is far more difficult.  --Tony Hoare