Re: few questions on truecrypt and luks

In any case - if anyone using cryptsetup tcrypt commands - please
report problems and bugs found.
Also successful stories welcomed - actually I have no idea if anyone
using it already and feedback (even completely anonymous and possibly
negative) is very important. Thanks.

- I want to see real users (of already formatted device) before investing
time to any foreign format or key change operation

Real users are out there and i am hearing from them and i am playing my part in advertising truecrypt support in cryptsetup,it helps my project's adoption :-)

There is,for example,this link https://tails.boum.org/todo/replace_truecrypt_with_tc-play/

There is this link: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items?rd=ForbiddenItems#TrueCrypt

cryptsetup can be added to the list. I tried to write an email to  fedora mailing list asking cryptsetup to be added to the list but my email was bounced back to me i think its because i was not a member of the list.

I dont think truecrypt support with cannibalize LUKS adoption.From what i know and what i am hearing,most users of truecrypt in linux use it because it had a GUI but they would use something else if offered.Case in point me.I started zuluCrypt specifically because i did not want to use truecrypt and cryptsetup was the next best thing since i am linux only user.I could have used truecrypt but i chose not to and using cryptsetup from the terminal to manage my encrypted volumes in files was annoying enough for me to do something about it.

I know of users who have switched from truecrypt to cryptsetup because zuluCrypt now gives them an easy way to manage their encrypted volumes in files.I think lack of GUI support for LUKS encrypted container  files was the biggest selling point for truecrypt among linux only users.

I know of atleast one archlinux user who use LUKS and truecrypt volumes in his system and he was using truecrypt binary for his truecrypt volume and nautilus for his LUKS volumes.Now he only use zuluCrypt to manage both volumes.

I do not think linux users will choose truecrypt over luks if comparable CLI and GUI tools exist for both.