Re: Device $dev is not a valid LUKS device.

Hi Erik,

basically the LUKS header (see FAQ for brief explanation of the
on-disk format) gets overwritten. The question is by what.
Often, looking at the data that is now there in place of the
header guves a clue, sometimes not. So look at the start
of the (former) LUKS device.

On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 03:18:55PM +0100, Erik Logtenberg wrote:
> Hi Arno,
>
> Do you have some pointers on how I can investigate that?
>
> In my previous setup, I had my luks device directly on top of my iscsi
> device. That worked great in the beginning, but after a power failure on
> the iscsi server, my volume was destroyed. Since the luks device was the
> only contents on the iscsi device, there was not much
> testing/investigating that I could do.
>
> So I changed the setup: I created an LVM volume on my iscsi device, and
> the luks device inside the LVM volume. That way, I thought, I would at
> least know what part of the setup caused the malfunction. I mean, if the
> iscsi device itself would become corrupted, I wouldn't be able to
> activate the LVM volume anymore, but if dm-crypt were to make some
> mistake, I would expect to still be able to activate the LVM volume, but
> then not be able to read the luks volume.
>
> Right? Well, it turns out I can still activate the LVM volume just fine,
> so apparently there are no media errors / overwritten headers, at least
> no overwritten LVM headers.

I do not use LVM (complicates things which is bad IMO). I also failed
to find any description of its superblock or the superblock
location on the web, pretty bad. However, in an experiment,
pvcreate put the header at 1k offset, while the LUKS header is
at the beginning of the device. So whatever kills the LUKS header
may leave the LVM superblock undamaged. It is interesting, however,
that the LUKS header seems to have been damaged inside the LVM
container.

> But then, after I activated the LVM volume, dm-crypt can't read the luks
> volume. So apparently -only- the luks volume is damaged in some way.
> So... how can I investigate this further?

Look at what is there instead of the LUKS header. Then find out
what put it there. I sould also submit that until you find
out, you shpuld not trust the iSCSI device, something is
clearly wring with it.

Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----