Re: Device $dev is not a valid LUKS device.

Hi Arno,

Do you have some pointers on how I can investigate that?

In my previous setup, I had my luks device directly on top of my iscsi
device. That worked great in the beginning, but after a power failure on
the iscsi server, my volume was destroyed. Since the luks device was the
only contents on the iscsi device, there was not much
testing/investigating that I could do.

So I changed the setup: I created an LVM volume on my iscsi device, and
the luks device inside the LVM volume. That way, I thought, I would at
least know what part of the setup caused the malfunction. I mean, if the
iscsi device itself would become corrupted, I wouldn't be able to
activate the LVM volume anymore, but if dm-crypt were to make some
mistake, I would expect to still be able to activate the LVM volume, but
then not be able to read the luks volume.

Right? Well, it turns out I can still activate the LVM volume just fine,
so apparently there are no media errors / overwritten headers, at least
no overwritten LVM headers.
But then, after I activated the LVM volume, dm-crypt can't read the luks
volume. So apparently -only- the luks volume is damaged in some way.
So... how can I investigate this further?

Kind regards,

Erik.