Re: No key available for this passphrase

Arno Wagner <arno@...> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 06:46:53PM -0500, .. ink .. wrote:
> >  [..]
> >
> > > but a function like this or any other
> > > mechanism of header-protection would be nice to see as standard for LUKS.
> > > Especially because the first keyslot is so likely to be corrupted by
> > > partition
> > > managers (should be aroud the offset of keyslot 0 where they start to dump
> > > their
> > > data?).
> > >

> > has there been any study to find out which ones of the keyslots is most
> > likely to get corrupted accidentally by various tools?
>
> I do not think there is enough data. And there is the additional
> problem that corruption in others than slot 0 will not be noticed
> by most users. You are welcome to search the mai,ing-list archives
> and generate a statistic, of course.
> [...]

As soon as I received my new harddrive for the notebook (the one delivered
constantly makes fast scratching noises at idle...), i will start to write a
small script that backups the header on the disk and frequently compares this
backup to the disk/partition header. If changes are detected it will give a
warning plus the option to restore the header.
Well - thats the plan. Will see what functions will make it to the script or
will be added while writing it.

It will be only a shellscript ( need glasses - I can't C very good ;) ), but i
will post it here (maybe new thread) as soon as it is working.

Sebastian