Re: How to recover partially overwritten LUKS volume?

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 04:33:58PM +0200, Andr?s Korn wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 10:21 PM, Arno Wagner <arno@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> The original RAID5 array used a chunksize of 64k, which seems to
> >> suggest that the first 64k of the 0th device (which is the one I had
> >> removed) should still contain the overwritten LUKS data; however, the
> >> header was considerably larger than 64k (see below), so it seems I'm
> >> out of luck.
> >
> > Not necessarily. You just need the ehader (~600 bytes) and one
> > intact key-slot. The keyslots are 128kiB with default
> > values (256kiB with XTS mode). The smaller one may have survived,
> > see below. An XTS keyslot will not have survived though.
>
> I used the defaults.

> >> The trouble is though that three of four disks were overwritten...
> >
> > Thinking about this again, you are right. The resync will
> > have done additional damage.
>
> I think the resync did no damage because it only wrote to the new
> disk; the originals only had to be read.

I am not sure. Only recreating parity (my original though)
would also be a valid approach for a new array, and that is
what you were creating. On adding a disk to a degraded
array, you would be perfectly correct.

> I was thinking that maybe I could try to assemble the (copies of the)
> original array with the 0th, 2nd and 3rd drive, leaving the 1st out
> initially and then re-add it, allowing RAID5 to sync the data to it,
> thereby hopefully regenerating the LUKS metadata. However, this won't
> work either.
>
> My array used the default left-symmetric layout, which afaik is:
>
> D0 D1 D2 P0
> D4 D5 P1 D3
> D8 P2 D6 D7
>
> D1, D2 and P0 are damaged. Everything else is intact.
>
> So even omitting D1, the data that would be used to reconstruct it
> would be incorrect.

No idea.

> > Now resync for RAID5 only writes
> > the parity of all other disks to one.
>
> Not quite. If you add a missing disk, it will contain data as well as
> parity after the resync. The parity will be computed based on the data
> on the other disks as you said, while the data will be computed as a
> function of the data and the parity on the other disks.
>
> > LUKS keyslots are 128kiB in size. So you may still be in luck,
> > but this is going to take a lot of time to test out and sounds
> > rather unlikely.
>
> All chunks are 64k long. The first keyslot started somewhere in the
> first part of D0, covered all of D1 and ended in the first part of D2.
> It's gone for sure, becuase part of D1 got overwritten. If next
> keyslot followed immediately, it covered D3 and ended in D4. It was
> likely also overwritten because a raid superblock was written to
> D2+4k. However, the third keyslot had to start in D4 (or even D5,
> depending on the specific layout; D0+D1+D2+D3 together only have room
> for two keyslots).
>
> Therefore, the third keyslot should still be intact.
>
> Now, how do I get to it?

Ah. Use the info in the FAQ and RAID geometry to extract it, and
place it in a file (starting with the intact header) at the correct
offset.

> >> Even if it was RAID device #0 in the original array? Its first four
> >> bytes do say LUKS, and cryptsetup appears to recognise it as a LUKS
> >> device (if I try to luksOpen it separately).
> >
> > Then the first 64k to 192k (see above) will be valid header data.
> > Have you tried unlocking just the removed disk with the password?
>
> I have, and it didn't work; but it can't be expected to work, can it?
> That disk contains D0, D4, D8 etc. in this order.

Indeed. Overlooked that.

> [...]
> >
> > Yes. Or use a loop-mounted file (see FAQ item 2.3)
> >
> >> How is that better than using a (partial) copy of the corrupted
> >> array?
> >
> > It is easier to handle. Doing raw sector reads/writes on disks is
> > harder than just reading/writing in files with offsets. With
> > files you can also easily do things like using "head" and "tail"
> > to combine pieces. For example
> >
> >   head -c 64K /dev/sdx
> >
> > gives you the first 64kiB of disk sdx, or
> >
> >   tail -c 64K /dev/sdx | head -c 64K
> >
> > gives you the second 64kiB. And you can combine with cat and
> > ">>".
>
> Fwiw, this also works with disks (using dd), but I see what you mean.
>
> > Yes, but see above that up to 192k may be intact in a rotating fasion.
> > Depends on how the RAID code distributes the parity stripes.
> > If you are lucky, one of the key-slots made it.
>
> It would appear that the third keyslot (#2) must have made it.
>
> >> luksDump says:
> >>
> >> Version:        1
> >> Cipher name:    aes
> >> Cipher mode:    cbc-essiv:sha256
> >> Hash spec:      sha1
> >> Payload offset: 1032
> >> MK bits:        128
> >> MK digest:      b9 68 70 a2 ac ca f7 f6 f6 8f b8 ba 33 59 3c 61 f3 e0 68 98
> >> MK salt:        4a 42 a9 ab e0 74 0f ee 8a 98 5b f8 d7 80 f7 73
> >>                 da a4 dd 16 5f 2e 18 48 f9 28 c7 7e e9 07 5f bf
> >> MK iterations:  10
> >> UUID:           5852d626-0428-4382-bca6-c04350559ceb
> >>
> >> Key Slot 0: ENABLED
> >>         Iterations:             141780
> >>         Salt:                   58 a9 bb e9 4d 31 03 54 1b b1 85 27 24 73 5f e0
> >>                                 63 52 18 cd 4f 3b ff fb 5f ed 26 b8 40 dd c7 b4
> >>         Key material offset:    8
> >>         AF stripes:             4000
> >> Key Slot 1: ENABLED
> >>         Iterations:             95596
> >>         Salt:                   41 fc a7 02 38 4d ff 6d d1 39 fb 6f 8f 3a 0f 0a
> >>                                 16 e0 e9 a6 b6 b2 86 e8 ae 01 f7 fc 41 6b 2e b4
> >>         Key material offset:    136
> >>         AF stripes:             4000
> >> Key Slot 2: ENABLED
> >>         Iterations:             109766
> >>         Salt:                   cd 00 34 39 60 d3 0b d3 d8 c5 b6 72 b3 a1 cd 01
> >>                                 77 a8 d4 84 0e bf 67 5c c2 73 b2 7e b7 ca de 75
> >>         Key material offset:    264
> >>         AF stripes:             4000
> >> Key Slot 3: DISABLED
> >> Key Slot 4: DISABLED
> >> Key Slot 5: DISABLED
> >> Key Slot 6: DISABLED
> >> Key Slot 7: DISABLED
> >>

> > Now you have a chance of one of the keyslots being
> > intact on the removed disk or revoceralbe using all
> > disks. Try the thing above on the removed disk.
> >
> > If this fails, you can start to try all 5 block combinations
> > of the first 5 64kiB blocks from the removed and non-removed
> > disks (LUKS header and 3 key-slots) and see whether any
> > combination can be unlocked with one of the 3 passprases.
>
> The way I see it, my only chance is with the 3rd slot.
>
> However, I don't understand the above paragraph. What 5 block

Forget about that. It was a brute-force idea, but it
it too complex anyways.

> > Probably best value for effort: See whether any key-slot is
> > intact on the removed disk, if not, cut your losses and use the
> > backup.
>
> I now believe that keyslot #2 is intact (provided keyslots are really
> at least 128k in size, and that the left-symmetric raid5 layout is
> what I think it is). I'm also fairly certain the passphrases for
> keyslots #1 and #2 (the 2nd and 3rd keyslot) are identical (I'm
> certain of the 3rd passphrase because I added it just a few days ago,
> and I'm almost certain of the 2nd one).
>
> Could it be that cryptsetup tries to use keyslot #1 based on the
> passphrase I enter, realizes that it's corrupt and throws an error
> without ever trying keyslot #2? But apparently no, because specifying
> an explicit --key-slot also fails.

No. A corrupt keyslot just makes cryptsetup skip to the next one.

> Any suggestions?

Put the pieces from the removed disk into a file at the correct
offsets (where they were when the array was assembled) and try
with that.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner,    Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,   Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx