Re: How to recover partially overwritten LUKS volume?

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 08:14:34AM +0200, Andr?s Korn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had an mdraid5 array made from four partitions of four disks, and
> had LUKS on top of it.
>
> One of the drives developed a few bad sectors (but didn't fail
> completely), so I replaced it. While the array was resyncing, one of
> the other drives threw a few errors, so mdadm marked it as failed and
> stopped the array.
>
> At this point, I made a mistake. I re-created the degraded array with:
>
> mdadm --create /dev/md2 --level=5 --raid-devices=4 --assume-clean
> missing /dev/sda4 /dev/sdc4 /dev/sdb4
>
> However, I forgot to specify --metadata=0.90 (which the original array

Not good. Never, ever, ever recreate RAID arrays, filesystems,
etc. without a full binary backup of the originals, unless you
are prepared to lose all data that was on the devices.

> used). I immediately rectified this, but by then mdadm had written a
> raid superblock somewhere where originally there was none, and now
> trying to luksOpen the volume with a known good passphrase results in
> "No key available with this passphrase".

The default is metadata 1.2 for current mdadm. That put the
superblock at 4k from the start and right in the middle of the
first key-slot.

> I still have the drive I removed, intact.

It is unlikely but possible that what you lost is on there.
To determine this you would need to find out where exactly the
mdadm superbloick landed, extract the rest of the key-slot
and see whether you dinf that on the removed disk. If so,
you may have the data missing from the key-slot on the
removed disk.

> I have some backups but they're older than I'd like; is there anything
> sensible I might to that could help me recover the LUKS volume?

Not really. The only faint hope is to have the missing data
on the removed disk. Nothing else that I can see. Chances are
roughly 25% that the missing part is on the removed disk.

So unless you want to do some serious digging through raw
disk data on sector-level (and possibly writing some tools
for that yourself), no, nothing sensible.

> My first idea is to re-create the array with the removed drive
> included (making sure to specify the metadata version). T

Don't do that! It will likely only destroy more data.

> his entails
> uploading ~1TB over a 10MB/s link, so I thought I'd ask first whether
> this had any chance of succeeding at all, or whether there was
> anything else to try.

See above.

The one, most important rule for data-recovery is though:

==> Never ever ever write anything to the originals! <==

You can try to puzzle the header back together
on different media, you do not need a data area.
You can alos use a detached header (newer cryptsetup)
and work in a file. As soon as you get an unlock, you
can then try to repair the old header with the recovered
one, but not before.

Of copurse all of this will require digging deep into
the RAID metadata on-disk formats, the LUKS header
format (FAQ Item 6.12 has the short version). You may
also have to experiment to recreated the RAID disk order,
stripe size, etc. by finding and recovering the 0.90
metadata block.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner,    Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,   Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx