Re: Encrypt all partitions with dm-crypt

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:00:49AM +0200, Christophe wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 04:10:01PM +0400, Stayvoid wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'd like to encrypt all partitions (or most of them) with plain dm-crypt.
>
> What do you mean by plain dm-crypt ?

plain dm-crypt = cryptsetup not for LUKS, i.e. a headerless
set-up. Used this way in the man-page and the FAQ. I assume
that is what he meant.

> If you mean aes-plain, then the mechanisms

That is something different. Plain dm-crypt defaults to
aes-cbc-essiv:sha256

> present in most distributions won't be able to "see" your encrypted volumes, and
> /etc/crypttab won't be of any use either.
>
> However, as Arno sait you can do it with an initramfs image. Debian for
> instance has a pretty convenient mechanism to automatically create
> initramfs images for your different kernels, and you can use hooks to
> place your own scripts in it.  When you install cryptsetup, Debian updates
> all the initramfs images with the cryptsetup binary.

Nice! Seems cryptsetup support in distros is definitely getting
better.

> All you'll need to
> to after that is to add a custom boot parameter to your bootloader (say
> encrypted_root=/dev/sdX), place a script in the initramfs that will map
> the partition with cryptsetup (e.g.  cryptsetup -c aes-plain create root
> ${encrypted_root}) and update your /etc/fstab (/dev/mapper/root / ...).

So no full support yet? Pity. As some others here have pointed out,
there are Distros with full cryptsetup integration. Gentoo seems
to be one. On the other hand, it seems some problems Ubuntu has
with LUKS are still not solved, so YMMV.

> It requires a bit of fiddling but it'll work, and if your distro has such
> mechanisms as Debian has, it won't break your configuration when updating
> grub or the kernel because it'll run the hooks again.

And on the plus side, if you ever run into a situation where
you need to access your encrypted partition with a rescue
system (seems to happen regularly), you know what to do from
doing parts yourself.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner,    Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,   Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx