Re: Option "validate passphrase" for command cryptsetup

Hello,

Am 19.06.2012 13:26, schrieb Milan Broz:
On 06/19/2012 12:53 PM, Louis wrote:
	Hello,
	for information, I wrote a small C program to check if the given
passphrase is correct, without doing anything on the disk. The command
is used this way:

If you think it can benefit cryptsetup, I offer to write the necessary patch to include it to cryptsetup (as a "luksValidateKey" LUKS action).

Special program or command is IMHO overkill, isn't enough just to add option to cryptsetup luksOpen (--dry-run, --no-activate, whatever you prefer)?

if I'm not wrong, one difference between Louis' suggestion and the way you implemented it is, that the former works with active devices, and the latter doesn't, right?

I like the idea of a --dry-run option which works for all commands, just like a simulation mode. But as well I like the idea of a command for key validation, which takes the same commandline options as luksOpen, and simply verifies whether the given key (passphrase, keyfile, whatever) is valid.

Regards,
 jonas