Re: New Luks Format Specification (1.3)

Hi Zaolin,

On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 08:59:10AM +0100, Philipp Deppenwiese wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i am Zaolin from the German hackerspace "Das Labor".

Never heard of it, sorry.

> The last month I concentrated on how to change the luks specification to
> be state of the art.  Up to now we still use SHA-1 as default algorithm
> for PBKDF2 in luks.

SHA-1 is not a security problem when used in this fashion.

> The next problem is the excessive use of parallel
> bruteforcing systems like ASIC, FPGA or GPUGPU technology.  A new key
> derivation function is needed in order to raise the complexity of
> bruteforce attacks against the luks key derivation function.

No, it is not. At the very worst, a higher iteration count may
be needed, but that question involves a trade-off that is
regularly discussed here, see the mailing-list archives.

> If someone
> sends me the *.tex file of the luks specification, i will update and post
> it for review.

I doubt there is need for that. Please post your cryptoanalytic
results here, so that we can have a look. If you are trying
for a large-memory key-derivation function, please note that
a) this was discussed here recently (if I remember correctly,
I do remember that I was in some discussion about it and that
the large-memory property was doubtful at best) and that
b) it is unclear whether a large memory property, if
ensured, will even help.

Also note that against a determined or hogh-ressource attacker,
the only help is a high-entropy passphrase, as has been discussed
on this list several times and is clearly stated in the FAQ.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----