Re: please HELP - can't acces encrypted LVM after linux reinstallation.

Am 31.10.2011 01:30, schrieb Aleksander Swirski:
> I'm pretty sure this warning is only displayed when someone decides
> to create new crypto on some partition or fill encrypted device
> with random data in the next step after setting the password. but
> just setting the password on an existing device makes data unusable
> without warning. when the partitioning is finished there is a list
> of partitions that will be wiped out, and also, during my
> installation crypto-deviced and /home inside LVM was not listed
> there, but already lost few clicks earlier.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'setting the password on an existing
device'. Last time I checked, the Debian Installer didn't support to
unlock and integrate existing encrypted partitions. You needed to do
this manually on the console. Thus, there was no way to set the
password for an existing device.

I'm pretty sure that you did what you called to 'create new crypto on
some partition'.

Nevertheless, in case that no warning was displayed to you, this
clearly should be considered as a bug.

> i understand that it wasn't taken into consideration that someone
> can attach existing encrypted device, but only that a new one will
> be created. this is inconsistent with how it goes with unencrypted
> partitions, where you can reattach them without formatting and keep
> your data. so i guess with encrypted partition this should also
> work that way. or maybe i miss the point? i will try to make the
> whole scenario clear, and then send my proposition, to
> debian-boot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:debian-boot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Yes, support for using existing encrypted devices is not added to the
installer yet. At least, there's a bugreport[1] with a patch. This
might be a useful starting point in case you want to work on adding
this feature.

Greetings,
 jonas