Re: dm-crypt Digest, Vol 27, Issue 2

On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 10:58:17AM -0500, Shardis wrote:
> Personally, I tend to find that the only sane technical reason not to
> encrypt anything considered sensitive these days is CPU cycle cost.

I am not arguing that. I am aguing that "sensitive" data
has no place in a non-private cloud in the first place,
and hence the discussion whether to encrypt sensitive
data in a non-private cloud or not does not apply.

I am also aguing that for non-sensitive data, encryption
may cause more problems than it solves, see below.

> For the vast, VAST majority of use cases the cost of CPU cycles is almost
> inconsequential when compared to the cost of any other knowledge,
> hardware, software, management and support that would be needed in any
> case.
>
> While I'm not intimately familiar with broadcast media uses - I would
> strongly suspect that this would be the case even there.
>
> Or maybe I just don't have a lively enough imagination. I do work
> operations in a data center with at least a few petabytes on hand though.
>
> Why would you ever NOT want to encrypt in house?

Keeping in mind that the topic is block-layer
encryption, you have added cost for:

- CPU and power
- key management
- risk of key loss (and data loss as a consequence)
- encryption software management
- increased complexity
- more difficult data recovery and problem detection
- analysis of on-disk data requires keys and working decryption
- problems when law enforcement comes with a warrant

I am sure there are a few others.

Arno

Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----