Re: Bug Report to Ubuntu regarding dangerous installer

> Then I don't know, either. But I think that when choosing the alternate
> installer (which is more advanced than the graphical one) you should know
> you're using an "expert" tool..
> I'm attaching a few screenshot I found on GI of what the installer does

Hello,

Let me elaborate a little bit on what happened. I had a computer with
one ext2 /boot partition and one huge dm-crypt volume, inside which I
had three logical volumes: root, swap and home. My intend was to
install Ubuntu Natty on root, without touching home.

LVM and dm-crypt can only be configured using the alternate Installer,
so I downloaded the daily version of Ubuntu Natty Alternate Installer
and hoped for the best. When I got to the menu asking me to create
partitions / file systems, Ubuntu did not automatically activate the
existing dm-crypt volume. In fact, it didn't even show that the
partition was of type "crypto". IIRC, the partition was just shown to
be unknown. Trying to activate the dm-crypt volume, the only option I
could find was "configure encrypted volumes" [1]. Later I found out
that it only allows to create a new volume, but not activate an
existing one.

I understand that the alternate installer is supposed to be for
experts, but I still think that:
1) Ubuntu failed to detect the existing dm-crypt volume, thus
confusing the user.
2) The installer did not provide an easy-to-find command for
activating the dm-crypt volume.
3) Airbags have been turned off, without the user's knowledge.

Please comment and tell me if I am wrong.

Cheers,
Cristi.

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SoftwareRAID?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=ubuntu_raid_06.png