Bug Report to Ubuntu regarding dangerous installer

Dear all,

I just sent the email below to ubuntu-bugsquad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I did not find another way to report a bug without installing
Ubuntu (which am an not about to do). If somebody knows a better
way or has Ubuntu installed and can file this directly for the
installer package, please feel free.

I hope this communicates the problem adequately.

Arno

---

Subject: Ubuntu installer kills LUKS partitions without warning

Hi,

first, I don't have Ubuntu and I don't plan on using it.
As I did not find another way that allows me to report
a serious issue without subscribing to something, I use
this venue.

Please forward this to the Ubuntu installer development team.

The dm-crypt mailing list (archive here:
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.device-mapper.dm-crypt)
has had several reports that the Ubuntu installer creates
new LUKS partitions (encrypted partitions) on top of exisiting
ones without giving adequate warning and at the same time
giving the impression that the existing LUKS partition would be
activated. The rather clear warning and verification question
asked by the cryptsetup tool seems to get disabled with the
"--batch-mode" option.

This causes irreversible loss of all data! Nothing
(in the cryptographically strong sense) can be done
to get the data back!

Checking for an existing LUKS partition is easy,
it has the magic string 'L','U','K','S, 0xBA, 0xBe
at the beginning. It seems this is not checked for,
or no additional warning or only inadequate additional
warning is given if a pre-exisiting LUKS partition
is about to be permanently and irretrivably erased.

Please fix the installer ASAP and if you need help doing
it right, _ask_! We will be happy to help.

Regards,
Arno Wagner
Maintainer cryptsetup FAQ

--