Re: LUKS and LVM

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 04:53:20AM +1100, Eric Bauman wrote:
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> With regards to the multiple containers, the configuration I'd run
> across was one container per partition, with the key for each stored in
> /. When the system was booted, the passphrase was entered, and each
> partition's container opened and mounted automatically.

If they are not combined into something larger, that is fine.
If they are (RAID or other LVM action), then I would allways
forst construct the whole device and then encrypt, i.e.
encryption on top of block layer and below filesystem.

> On 19/02/2011, Arno Wagner wrote:
>>> I typically randomise my block device before creating a LUKS container
>>> on it.  Option 2 would seem to reduce the effectiveness of this because
>>> LVM will give clues to where real data might be.
>>
>> I don't follow. That encrypted data is present is obvious from
>> the LUKS header. What is in the container(s) is as opaque in
>> (1) as it is in (2), given that cryptographically strong
>> randomness is used for the overwrite (I use plain dm-crypt
>> with a random password and overwrite with conventional,
>> mt19997-generated randomness).
>
> I meant not that the data protection of one was better than the other,
> but rather in (2) LVM will store in plain-text both the start and end
> offset of the partition. So perhaps an attacker would have a better idea
> of where data is. Comparing knowing the partition starts at X and ends
> at Y, there is probably some encrypted data in there somewhere, versus a
> giant container with no indication of structure (could be encrypted data
> or could be random garbage).

LUKS has a header per container. Also, knowing were the encrypted
data is does not help the attacker, unless he/she can repeatedly
access the computer. In that case, all is luikely lost anyways.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----