Re: using a salt for encrypting blocks

En réponse à Milan Broz <mbroz@xxxxxxxxxx> :
> Good luck. Do you know how easy is to use hw keylogger for
> example?

yes.

> How do you detect that attacker installed such hw device when
> he has repeated access to the system?
> TPM will not help here.

no. TPM won't help against an hw keylogger.
But it will help in order to detect a change in my /boot
partition. And for that, it works. It's so easy to break the
encryption by modifying /boot than something has to be
done. Here, TPM can help, so I use.

For hardware keylogger, I would use a laptop
very tiny where every change would be noticed.
For example, a mac book air. So thin, you can't add
a hardware keylogger. But it's not discussion for dm-crypt
mailing list I guess.

> (Btw read what truecrypt developers say about TPM - see FAQ
> there.)

Done.

> You cannot fix block level encryption to not leak info which
> block changed without completely destroying performance.
> The block device must be transparent to the system and also
> you do not want to kill cache and hw acceleration here.

Ok.

> What is possible is to provide on-the-fly master key change
> and simply reencrypt the whole device on-fly when needed.
>
> You can implement is such way, that it will survive even
> unexpected power fail.
>
> LVM has similar concept for pvmove - moved (here reencrypted)
> area is mirrored, when mirror is synchronised, it will switch to final
> destination.
>
> For encryption here you then need some temporary area and
> after switch to destination area add wipe of old area with random data.

sure

> If power fails, it will simple start resyncing again (so for
> some time both keys are active). Of course this also handle all IO
> requests to the storage during reencryption.
>
> So if this is what you want

a thing like that, yes

> - yes, I would like to see some
> such functionality, but this is work for LVM, not dmcrypt.

Ok, I think I understand. I will look to LVM docs.

Thanks

Envoyé avec Inmano, ma messagerie renversante et gratuite : http://www.inmano.com