Re: [ANNOUNCE] cryptsetup 1.2.0-rc1 (test release candidate)

Quoting Milan Broz <mbroz@xxxxxxxxxx>:
(I think there is already request for setting default to /dev/random
in Debian.)
Yeah that was me ;)

I mean I absolutely see your points, Milan.

But IMHO one should always go for the most secure setting per default.
Just the same as one e.g. does when gnupg creates keys. Of course one could argue there, too, that for the average user, urandom might be good enough.

As far as I've always understood you, your main-concern are fully automated installs, right? And personally I just don't see the major use case of disk encryption for that at all.

And typically, when you do that you have some special tool for it anyway (e.g. FAI),... which could then always use --use-urandom per default.

That's why I personally would suggest to use random as default, and just announce this change in behaviour in some NEWS-file with the hint that the /dev/random blocking might be a problem for some people. Just with about the same arguments, as it was agreed here (IIRC) that TRIM will be (for security reasons) discarded per default.

Cheers,
Chris.