system freezes when using swap that is encrypted

Hello list,

I am using 2 primary FAT partitions for swap that I encrypt with cryptsetup on boot with a random password from /dev/urandom. I noticed that once memory pressure is high enough for the pager to start swapping, the system freezes. It seems as if it's only the disk that freezes however, when I am logged into a virtual console I can still use the keyboard to switch between different consoles and the magic sysreq keys are working. I can ping the machine but that's about it. Anything that seems to involve disk access like logging in, Ctrl-C'ing the high memory job, switching to graphical console, etc, does not work. I have tried to increase kernel logging with 'dmesg -n8' but to no avail. I do not see any error messages when this happens. I am using a vanilla kernel, version 2.6.34.5. Any pointers as to what could this be caused by or how I could track this down are greatly appreciated.

nick