Improving performance?

Hi. I have a RAID 5 array with 3 (soon upgrading to 4 + hotspare = 5) encrypted drives connected to a system with a Core 2 Duo @ 2.5 ghz  running Debian Squeeze.
Each drive has been formatted with

cryptsetup luksFormat /path/to/device

And put together in a array with

mdamd -C /dev/md0 --raid-level=5 /path/to/first-device /path/to/third-device /path/to/third-device

It works great, and encrypting the devices separately allows me to run more than one instance of kcryptd, thus using both cores in my server. It compensates for the overhead of encrypting the checksumming data seperately, compared to raw devices -> RAID -> encryption and still give me improved speed.

At the moment, i get 70 mb/s sequential read speed locally. I would like to boost it to at least 100 or even more, as 1) the raw drives support way more and 2) i would like to fill my gigabit ethernet when copying files over the network.

Now, what are my options?

A quadcore CPU like the Q6600 would double the number of cores and theoretically double the throughput, but at cost of idle power. Note that the server is idle most of the time.
A core i5. They have AES support in hardware, but it's an expensive solution and i'm not even sure it has Linux support.
A PCI or PCIe based card, like the HiFN cards, but what card should i look for and what speed should i expect?
Using the CUDA cores of my nVidia card, but no driver seems to exists for that.

The first option is pretty straight forward, but what about the rest? Or are there any other options i havent thought of?

--
Lasse Jensen (fafler at gmail dot com)