Re: Improving performance?

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 18:03:39 +0100 Heinz Diehl <htd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11.11.2010, Lasse Jensen wrote:
>
> > A core i5. They have AES support in hardware
>
> I have an i5-450 which has not. There are different versions out there and
> not all of them have hardware AES. and I for myself do not trust in such
> hardware solutions either, but that's another story..

I thought that the i5 series was comprised of the 6xx numbers, whereas a 450 sounds more like an i3, which has those features disabled.
As for trust, if we can't trust intel's hardware accelerated encryption, why should we trust any processor maker to not just poll for software AES and do mischief that way?
That's going way down the rabbit hole, and not really helpful.
Anyway, any i5 6xx (ie 32nm dual core with hyper threading and turbo) also has AES_NI exposed.