Re: valid passphrase not accepted

Considering the amount of traffic on the list regarding issues like this, maybe future versions of dm-crypt should issue an annoying warning when creating LUKS-format mapped devices, about how a backup of the header is STRONGLY recommended, with data loss due to accidental overwriting of the header being the number one reason for data loss.
Possibly even with explicit instructions on how to perform a backup, so that users can simply copy and paste the command-line and adjust their device names.
Adding a flag to turn the warning off for unattended set-ups (or whatever reason) should make this have minimum negative impact.
(I haven't used LUKS yet, so I can't verify whether something like this is implemented already -- if it is, excuse the redundancy...)

Best of luck to the OP....