Re: SSD dm-crypt partition alignment

On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 08:54 -0700, Bryan Kadzban wrote:
> Not really.
>
> An SSD has to erase a whole erase-block (thought to be 512kB on the
> Intel drives) whenever it can't satisfy a write from a currently-erased
> device block (512 bytes or 4k or whatever).  This is how flash works:
> you have to erase before writing anything (unless the bits are all zero
> already), and the smallest erase unit is >1 block.
Of course...

>   So other blocks from
> the target erase-block must be copied to some other physical location,
> or they'd be lost.
But that whole issue is already solved when you're aligned to the
"write" blocks, isn't it?

The kernel doesn't know about, erase-first-then-write,... it's the
internal logic of the SSD which does this.

So from the software point of view, I thought, one has only writing
(with the exception of TRIM - but as you've said, those two have nothing
to do with each other),... and if you're aligned to the blocks, you're
fine.

Cheers,
Chris.