Re: SSD dm-crypt partition alignment

On Sun, 2010-08-22 at 15:25 +0200, Peter Smith wrote:
> I agree with you on that. I have spent weeks investigating this, but
> without finding any clear answers.
>
> So far i am pretty clear on that i need to align the partitions to EBS
> (erase block size). The EBS on Intel X25-M SSD is thought to be 512
> KiB. By running fdisk with the parameters -H 32 -S 32 the partitions i
> create will automatically be 512 KiB aligned. Everything would be fine
> now, if i did not need to encrypt the drive, but because this is a
> laptop used for work it is a demand.
>
> We are using the newest Ubuntu LTS therefore cryptsetup and the Linux
> kernel are not supporting automatic alignment. If i try to configure
> LUKS without LVM through partman with everything default and then dump
> the LUKS header, the "Payload offset" is configured to 2056, but i do
> not know if this is fine or not?

Uhm... have not heard about that before ^^ (but again, I'm not an expert
in this alignment thingy).
I thought there would be only one block size the device is using (well
at most there might be an physical block size, and a logical one which
is "published", as some WD harddisks do (IIRC)).

Nevertheless,... with an SSD "erasing" only makes sense via TRIM, and my
most recent knowledge of the status of that was, that neither dm (and
therefore also LVM2), nor dm-crypt support it (yet).

And even if they would, dm-crypt would (hopefully) decide to block TRIM
per default, as it has some effect on security.

Cheers,
Chris.