Re: Efficacy of xts over 1TB

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 02:55:44PM +0200, octane indice wrote:
> En r?ponse ? Arno Wagner <arno@xxxxxxxxxxx> :
> > Well, if the attacker mirrors your network traffic with iSCSI,
> > encryption does not matter anymore for any change analysis.
> >
> I don't know if it is the right place to ask, but do you have
> any links with this "change analysis" thing ?

Not really. What it does is expose on sector level (xts, EME)
what parts of the filesystem are changed. The idea is that
this can form a distinctice pattern, for example "Netscape
is launching", "An email was received in mbox format" or
"A Skype connection was initiated". In some contexts, this
type of information leakage can be a risk.

Typically this is only a risk in a SigInt context, were
people have long ago given up reading content (because
it is too much effort with encryption or even infeasible),
but look at traffic patterns. For example, it seems you can
pretty clearly see from the pattern whether a military
attack is imminent.

This is advanced IT Security vodoo and not really relevant
for most users. The one context I can think of were it
becomes relevant is if a specific application intentionally
cause some kind of pattern to either signal it has been
started or to actually leak information. For example
a corrupted encryption program couls signal key-bits
to the world in this fashion. Note that this is not
really relevant for anything that has net access, as there
bits are far easier to leak or directly send to the attacker.
For most typical usage it is not a relevant threat.

If you have questions, I will be happy to elaborate more.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----