Re: I quick-formated my encrypted partition , how to recover ?

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 08:56:41PM +0200, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 12.08.2010, Arno Wagner wrote:
>
> > That is untrue.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302686
>
> > A Windows Format/Quick Format does not blank the disk
>
> Yes, but since the old filesystem was not NTFS and is LUKS/dmcrypt encrypted,
> all the files are gone now. That was what I meant.

Indeed. However the OP also had unencrypted ext2/3 partitions
that were Quick-Formatted, and from those he may still revocer data.

> > ext2/ext3 for example have backup superblock copies distributed over
> > the disk and recovery of all files/directories except those located at the
> > start are quite possible with e2fsck after FAT formatting. Some
> > recoverz should be possible after NTFS formatting.
>
> As far as I understand, the crypto layer on the now NTFS formatted
> filesystem is no longer active, making it impossible to use any data
> recovery on it. What am I missing?

The unencrypted partitions. BTW, 'active' is not a good word to
use here. Better: The Metadata of the encryption layer has been
irreperably damaged.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx