Re: I quick-formated my encrypted partition , how to recover ?

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 06:48:28PM +0200, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 12.08.2010, medya wrote:
>
> > in the process of installing windows xp , I accidentally quick-formated the
> > hard disk and now each partition is indiviudally quickformated to NTFS
>
> Your data is gone, forever.
>
> The only difference between normal and quick format is that regular
> formatting also scans for bad blocks/sectors (this is what takes most of
> the time).  All files are gone, and the disk contains now the sectors of a
> file format which is different from the previous one.

That is untrue. A Windows Format/Quick Format does not blank the
disk, it rather only writes new filesystem metadata. For NTFS
that is at least some information at the start of the partition,
and some info spread over the partition. For FAT, that is only
information at the start of the disk (but rather largem, as the
File Allocation Table resides there). ext2/ext3 for example
have backup superblock copies distributed over the disk and
recovery of all files/directories except those located at the
start are quite possible with e2fsck after FAT formatting. Some
recoverz should be possible after NTFS formatting.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----