Re: FYI: how to (really) cleanly shutdown the system when root is on multiple stacked block devices

* Milan Broz <mbroz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 06/27/2010 02:20 AM, markus reichelt wrote:
> >* Arno Wagner<arno@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
> >
> >>Hmm. You know, encrypted root is a problem and pretty difficult
> >>to do in the rfirt place. Why not just encrypt the critical
> >>parts, like /var /home /root? The rest only holds binaries and
> >>config files anyways, which are not that sensitive...
> >
> >Are you serious?
>
> Usually encrypting everything is better, otherwise we add many
> problems here.

I phrased the question badly. My point is: Leaving /etc in plain but
encrypting /home (at least) leaves you wide wide open these days to
identity theft; wpa_supplicant and related foo, openvpn, ssh host
keys, ... just to name a few. That's what I was after.

--
left blank, right bald