Re: Formated Device

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 22:58 +0200, tesla1@xxxxxxx wrote:
> What will happen if I recreate the encrypted harddisk with
>
> cryptsetup -c aes-xts-plain -s 512 luksFormat /dev/sdb
It won't help you, as a new volume key is generated...

> which is the same command I used to encrypt the disk before? Can I rescue the data that way?
No... it could even harm, in case the old LUKS header should be still
there (which I doubt)

> Are there any other possibilities under these circumstances?
You can try to do some forensics, and see whether you find a valid LUKS
header (with keyslots and so on)...

Or simply grab your backups of either your data, or the LUKS header ;-)

Cheers,
Chris.