Formated Device

Hi,

you probably receive often such mails: How can I rescue my data?

Here is what happened:

I have (had) an encrypted harddisk (1TB). I can't remember whether I encrypted the whole block device or the partition on it. Now I accidently formatted the disk as msdos filesystem. Again I don't know whether it was the block device or just the partition. The ouput of fdisk -l looks like this:
root@arpa:~# fdisk -l /dev/sdb

Platte /dev/sdb: 1000.2 GByte, 1000204886016 Byte
255 Köpfe, 63 Sektoren/Spuren, 121601 Zylinder
Einheiten = Zylinder von 16065 × 512 = 8225280 Bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0006044c

   Gerät  boot.     Anfang        Ende     Blöcke   Id  System
/dev/sdb1   *           1      121601   976760001    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)

A long time ago when I destroyed the partition table of an unencrypted block device I just created a new one with the same parameters and then had access to the complete filesystem again with no data loss.

What will happen if I recreate the encrypted harddisk with

cryptsetup -c aes-xts-plain -s 512 luksFormat /dev/sdb

which is the same command I used to encrypt the disk before? Can I rescue the data that way?
Are there any other possibilities under these circumstances?
The fact that the 1TB disk is the largest one I own doesn't make it easy to do experiments.
Thank you in advance!