Re: avoid keyloggers: enter password with mouse(virtual keyboard)

> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 01:30:54AM +0200, Arno Wagner wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 08:42:58PM +0200, Olivier Sessink wrote:
> > > Arno Wagner wrote:
> > >

> > Well, while I do not really think the virtual keyboard will help
> > to a larger degree, it may still raise security a bit.
>
> what would help a litle bit more in this scenario is getting the password
> from a smartcard with a nice fully encrypted challenge response protocol.
>
> Richard

Some smart cards can't store passwords, but...

Using a smart card with a private key to decrypt and using the public key to encrypt instead of a password would go a long way to
making LUKS more secure.

This would allow me to encrypt a drive with someone's public key without having to share a password (or a separate key file).

Note that I am talking about encrypting the master key in a LUKS partition and not the whole drive using dm-crypt.

This would obviously require a change to the LUKS header format, but I think it would be very useful.

Encrypting a key file is not the same as it requires me to either partition the (USB) drive (with the key file on a separate
partition) or send it some other way.

Basically, all possible authentication/authorization mechanisms should be available.  If for some reason, I want to encrypt/decrypt
my drive using an iris scan, it should be possible.  Passwords are weak and are only something you know.

I realize that most people don't have an iris scanner on their laptop, but a bunch already have finger print scanners so what I am
describing is not that farfetched.

Vlad