Re: avoid keyloggers: enter password with mouse (virtual keyboard)

2010/4/13 Milan Broz <mbroz@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 04/13/2010 09:38 PM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
>> On 13.04.2010, Arno Wagner wrote:
>>
>>> If he has a hardware Keylogger on his system, somebody
>>> did physically manipulate his machine and all bets
>>> are off anyways.
>>
>> Of course.
>>
>> So this boils down to the fact that a software keyboard is useless :-)
>> If somebody had physical access to the machine, there will be no
>> way to detect any backdoors, and if somebody had been able to install a
>> software keylogger, this person has already gained root access to the machine
>> and could simply have read the master key from memory or whatever, you
>> name it.
>
> I just remember schoolbook example with "software keyboard" where
> such keyboard was used to enter PIN using mouse.
>
> Instead of sending the key scan code back to hidden logger program,
> it simply send rectangular areas on screen (screenshot) centered to
> mouse clicks...
> So attacker can easily read pin code from these few-bytes small pictures
> of visual keyboard:-)

1) a hardware keylogger costs about $100,-, can be ordered on many
places, and requires no technical expertise whatsoever. A hardware
keylogger is 100X easier than software modifications, or a
hardware-mouse-sniffer (I've never seen them)

2) we have protected ourselves from software modifications already
(boot from USB). So a hardware keylogger is our biggest threat.

3) most virtual keyboards I have seen are randomly positioned on the
screen, so you really need a well-positioned camera to capture the
password (which, again, is much more complex than a hardware
keylogger, requires a lot of technical expertise).

Olivier