Re: avoid keyloggers: enter password with mouse (virtual keyboard)

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 08:24:54AM +0200, Milan Broz wrote:
> On 04/15/2010 01:30 AM, Arno Wagner wrote:
> > What I do not see in the current cryptsetup though, is an
> > option to read the passphrase from stdin, file or named pipe.
> > That would be a reasonable extension IMO.
>
> As mentioned in other mail, it can read passphrase from stdin,
> also keyfile is supported.

Ah, for some reason I thought this was a raw keyfile. Of
course 'keyfile' does not mean keyfile, but file with the
passphrase in case of LUKS. And for plain dm-crypt, the
passphrase is the (not yet hashed) key. Temporary confusion
on my side.

> But for these types of applications is better use libcryptsetup,
> you can better control which buffer contain passphrase so you can
> wipe it. Also locking of memory (avoid to swap out memory
> with sensitive data) is better controlled through library then
> in some shell script.

True, if you want reasonable security.

> An example of code snip to open LUKS device is here
> http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/issues/detail?id=58&can=1#c1

Thanks.

Arno
--