Re: Poor performane (idle cpu) [SOLVED; problem with "pv"]

Hi Folks,

I have four disks.  I installed kubuntu 9.10 alt, using /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, and /dev/sdc.  I had long used /dev/sdd1 (single partition for the whole disk) as luks.  I kept all my backups on that disk, and didn't touch it at all during the instillation.  The installation program said that /dev/sdd1 was LVM, which I thot was odd, however I didn't use or set up LVM at all on any of the disks (hence didn't go into the settup LVM part of the install program).

Post install when I run cryptsetup:

thomas@Aristotle:~$ sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdd1 backup_crypt
Enter LUKS passphrase:
Command failed: /dev/sdd1 is not a LUKS partition
thomas@Aristotle:~$ sudo cryptsetup luksDump /dev/sdd1
Command failed: /dev/sdd1 is not a LUKS partition
thomas@Aristotle:~$ shoot me now
shoot: command not found

There are two things I can think of:
  1. The install program wrote out a new partition table, changing the partition type flag.
  2. The /dev/sdXs were named differently, and I've scribbled all over what was /dev/sdd1.
 In the first case I think I have hope, in the second... If one is true what steps should I take?

--
Cheers,
~Thomas

Samuel Goldwyn  - "I'm willing to admit that I may not always be right, but I am never wrong."