Re: Any practical AES-NI benchmarks around?

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 19:46:05 -0800 Bryan Kadzban <cryptsetup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Now, on a solid-state device, you might see a (maybe) 2x speedup overall
> with 10x-faster encryption.  (Again pulling numbers out of thin air.)
> But not on a rotating disk; encryption is not where the bottleneck is.

Re-reading the anandtech comparison, I realise that the clarkdale i5 is a dual core CPU, and compares favourably to a lower clocked quad core (though both run 4 threads and cost roughly the same), so your factor 2 number for SSDs seams reasonably close. Still, I expect that the inclusion on lower power cpu's would make more sense, as these high end chips (3.2ghz dual core with 4 threads is the smallest chip supporting AES-NI) already pack quite a punch, so do not truly necessite the extra performance - the only benefit is that encryption does become more rtansparent, and not the cpu-hog that it is now.
With the i5's all costing exactly the same, there's only one obvious reason to skip the 750: AES cycles/watt...
I was hoping for a CPU that I could passively cool, like my current Sempron, and yet get 10-20 times the AES performance. Seems that I've got to wait a while yet, if I want to stick with commodity hardware.
Well, let's hope for a module to crystalize into the mainline kernel soon, so that we can at least have our own numbers -seems a patch already exists.