Re: encrypted root: prevent / detect tampering with kernel / initrd

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 11:48:03AM +0100, Olivier Sessink wrote:
> Arno Wagner wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 11:52:37PM +0100, Olivier Sessink wrote:
> >> Arno Wagner wrote:
> > [...]
> >> I am aware of this concept, but it just moves the problem to the usb
> >> image (somebody sneaks into your hotel room at night ....). And again if
> >> somebody did change the usb image there is no way you are going to find
> >> out, even if they did something that could have been detected very
> >> easily such as a changed initrd. I don't expect our "regular users" to
> >> carry a very good safe with them day and night (and a safe can be picked
> >> as well).
> >
> > Simple again: Wear it on a chain around your neck.
> > Anybody that can beat this likely can beat any and all
> > other security measures you can implement.
>
> we're talking "regular users" here. You know, the ones that write
> passwords on pieces of paper even if you tell them not to write
> passwords ever down. So these users are quite a weak link in the
> security. So we do the best we can do that is acceptable for the
> end-user, and will likely work with our end-users. I think they will
> laugh very hard if we tell them to wear a memory-stick around their
> necks.. It won't work. They will leave it on their hotel room or in
> their luggage.

So your set-up is one with no user competence, no willingness to
do anything that could increase physical security if it is
a bit bothersome? How do you get them to use passwords in the
first place?

Anyways, it does not have to be around the neck, in the wallet
with instructions to give/show it to nobody would also work. I
don't think anything in the machine would work against a competent
attacker. That means the user has to do attack detection and
the bootable USB key is one of the few means to qualify a low
competence user to do this.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx