Re: encrypted root: prevent / detect tampering with kernel / initrd

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 11:52:37PM +0100, Olivier Sessink wrote:
> Arno Wagner wrote:
[...]
>> But here is something easy: Use an external boot medium for
>> verification, e.g. a memory-stick installed Knoppix with some
>> custom check script you call manually or automatically. Keep the
>> external checker system separate from the laptop. With
>> that the ideas you outlined above would work. You can, e.g.,
>> compary MBR and files in /boot to checksums or good copies.
>> I currently have an 8GB SuperTalent Stick with the Knoppix
>> DVD installed on it in my vallet. Adding packages and your own
>> data/programs is possible as it has a writable filesystem (writes get
>> ovelayed on top of the read-only DVD image).
>
> I am aware of this concept, but it just moves the problem to the usb
> image (somebody sneaks into your hotel room at night ....). And again if
> somebody did change the usb image there is no way you are going to find
> out, even if they did something that could have been detected very
> easily such as a changed initrd. I don't expect our "regular users" to
> carry a very good safe with them day and night (and a safe can be picked
> as well).

Simple again: Wear it on a chain around your neck.
Anybody that can beat this likely can beat any and all
other security measures you can implement.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----